Affiliate Link

Hubbell at Lloyd’s Neck

From Diary of the American Revolution, Vol II.  Compiled by Frank Moore and published in 1859.

March 10.—Captain Hubbel, of the Associated Loyalists, has had another encounter with the pious Presbyterians at Lloyd’s Neck.1 This spirited officer, with his little band of true Englishmen, has made three attempts to effect the business pointed out to them. In the first, the weather obliged them to return to the Neck without landing. Their second attempt was on the 28th of February last, when contrary winds and bad weather again prevented the General Wolfe (an armed schooner, furnished by his Excellency the commander-in-chief, for the use of the board) from crossing the Sound. Captain Hubbel then manned four whale boats, and proceeded to Compo, in Connecticut, where the party landed, and being fired upon from two guard houses, the rebels were immediately driven from them, and the guard houses burnt.

By this time the alarm guns were fired, and the militia mustered to the number of three hundred, as the loyalists were well informed, and therefore it was thought best to retire to their boats, in which they proceeded to Five Mile River, where they again landed, and marched some distance into the country; but the beacons being lighted, and the militia everywhere collected, Captain Hubbel drew off his men, and returned to Long Island the next morning.

On the morning of the 4rth instant, the party were embarked on board the General Wolfe, but the wind coming ahead, it was again determined to man four boats with between thirty and forty of the best men, which was immediately done, and the party crossed to McKenzie’s Point, where, leaving a sufficient guard with the boats, Captain Hubbel moved with the rest two miles up Mill River, where they effectually destroyed two mills, with about two hundred barrels of flour, collected there, as they were told, for the French at Rhode Island.

After effecting this business and collecting a few sheep, they returned to their boats, and proceeded to Routon River, and again landed about sunrise, and marched into the country to a rebel guard house, which they burned. They also destroyed a salt work, and collected some cattle, but finding the rebels embodying against them, they retreated to their boats, being fired at by the rebels, and landed on one of the Norwalk Islands, where they expected the General Wolfe would have joined them, but being disappointed, they were obliged to pass the night on the island. About break of day they discovered a large barge and three whale boats, full manned with continentals and militia, rowing towards them; but on being challenged by the loyalists, they turned and landed on an island within a few rods of the one occupied by Captain Hubbel, and began a heavy fire on the loyalists and their boats, which were turned up on the shore to shelter the men during the night. In the face of this fire, however, they launched their boats, and effected their retreat without any loss or damage, except a few shot holes through their boats.2


1 Smythe’s Journal; Lloyd’s Neck is a promontory between Oyster Bay and Huntington harbor, Long Island.
2 Rivington’s Gazette, March 14.